I want to share with you my experience with professional waxing, why I chose to be professionally waxed, how long have I been professionally waxed etc and also give you guys some before and after waxing care tips!
So I’ve been getting professionally waxed for about 6 months now and I honestly don’t think I’ll ever go back to shaving again. My skin feels absolutely flawless after I get waxed and if you have really sensitive skin like myself, you will know that flawless skin is hard to get due to a lot of irritation from certain products.
The reason I chose to get waxed professionally is because as I mentioned above, I have really sensitive skin which means shaving was a massive issue for me. It left nasty rashes which made my skin look ghastly. I tried so many different products for sensitive skin, tried different brands of razors which sometimes I spent over $30 on, went to my GP to see if there was anything she could do but nothing worked.
One day I was having lunch with a friend and it was really nice warm weather but I had pants on due to the rashes on my legs. She asked me why I was wearing pants on such a warm day so I told her and she recommended me to try getting waxed professionally.
She told me the place she goes to and the name of the lady she gets waxed by, so that day when I got home I decided to book my first appointment at a waxing salon called Brazilian Butterfly. I had to wait a long 4 weeks til I could get waxed due to previously shaving and the hairs needed to grow back before I could. That was the hardest part as I can’t stand body hair.. I never have been able to stand it so when I seen the state of my body, I literally cried and wanted the day to hurry up. I felt like a tarantula but with 2 legs instead of 8. It was crazy. I didn’t let my partner near me because I felt gross.
The day of my first waxing, I was so nervous because I’ve heard it’s extremely painful and I don’t do pain very well. But I’ll be 100% honest here, it didn’t hurt one bit. For some people, it hurts a lot and for others it doesn’t hurt at all. It just depends on the person. Around the ankles, it stings a little bit but that is it.
My lady always uses an after cream on me called Tea Tree Body Lotion with Aloe Vera and it’s amazing. They do have other body lotion products, but the tea tree body lotion works best for my skin.
After getting waxed, I booked in again but this time for 3 weeks because as I said, I can’t stand body hair and I have been getting professionally waxed ever since. My skin doesn’t get irritation rashes anymore and they actually look and feel flawless after getting waxed.
Down below I will provide some before/after care tips and what’s recommended you do, so if you are interested in getting waxed, you will know what to do.
Before getting waxed:
1. You need some hair growth for the wax to hold onto, so I recommend waiting to be waxed for 3-4 weeks (for your first time). Some salons recommend 2-3 weeks, but I prefer to wait around 3-4 just so you can get that clean wax. After your first time, 3 weeks is enough to wait before your next appointment.
2. Exfoliate – most important tip. Shower and lightly exfoliate the area you are getting waxed the day before your appointment using warm, not hot, water.
3. Reduce acidity. Give yourself a couple of hours after drinking coffee or alcohol before getting waxed. Instead, drink a lot of water to hydrate your body and skin.
4. Regrowth – because of hair growth different cycles, sometimes the very first wax may already grow some stubble after a couple of days. It’s not the hair waxed already growing, but it’s another cycle that was still in the skin during waxing. While it’s still only a small amount of hair, I recommend you wax twice before an event or vacation for smooth results, because the second time cycles are more even and there is less regrowth.
After getting waxed:
- Do not use any exfoliating products, especially ones containing acids, since they might irritate your skin.
- Showers are better than baths. Use only lukewarm water, not hot.
- Do not go to a sauna, steam room, whirlpool or any other heated sources 24-48 hours after being waxed.
- Do not expose treated area to ultra-violet rays indoor or outdoor. For your own protection, always wear sunscreen.
- Avoid heavy exercise for at least 24 hours after getting waxed.
- Sexual activity should be avoided for at least 24-48 hours after getting waxed.
- To avoid ingrown hair, exfoliate waxed area (starting after 48 hours since treatment) 2-3 times a week to get rid of dead skin layer, so your hair can grow above skin layer.
Avoid 24 hours after waxing:
1. Makeup, if face is waxed.
2. Deodorant with aluminum
3. Salt Glow or other stimulating body or facial treatments.
I do recommend to try out getting professionally waxed if you suffer from sensitive skin like myself and shaving is a massive issue for you. It has made such a great difference in my life.
Do you get waxed? If so, what are your experiences with it? Let me know in my comments! I’d love to read about yours! 🙂